Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Growing.

Hi everyone,
I’m super sorry for the lengthy break I took from blogging. :) There have been many times where topics or experiences have emerged, but in all honesty, life has been so busy that breathing has been an accomplishment these days. . .

However, over the past few months so much has happened and I’ve learned multitudes about God, myself, recovery, and life. So, I might continue sharing bits and pieces of reflections every now and then! :)

Tonight I was reading a book that was recently given to me, called Beyond Our Control. This book has been incredibly helpful to me, and I love how it focuses on Christian aspects of healing from hurts. Several pieces from the chapters I read tonight really stood out to me in terms of the process of healing. In fact, tonight I was quite frustrated. In all honesty, I've had a fairly unhealthy day in terms of exercise. Too much, and not focused on enjoyment or health, but obeying stupid rules from that voice that presents itself. So, I was actually reading at the gym, and feeling frustrated that I couldn't be further along in the recovery process... What do I need to do to get there? What am I doing wrong? Will there be a part of this stupid disorder with me FOREVER?! As I questioned these issues, I read a piece in a chapter that was just really encouraging and motivating.

The portion that really resonated deals with actions that can lead to true healing in one’s life. This sequence of actions includes:
ACCEPT. Accept the fact that you cannot undo the reality of what has taken place in
your life, but with God’s help, you can change the effect it has on you.
AGREE. Choose to agree to live with the consequences of sin.
BELIEVE. Choose to believe that God’s unfailing love for YOU can deliver from all
your wounds and the strongholds of pain.
CHANGE. Negative thinking leads to wrong behavior, producing rebellious actions. You
can change your behavior by allowing God to address your bad attitude.
DEAL. Choose to deal with strongholds of the past by letting go of anger, bitterness,
contempt, and unforgiveness.
LISTEN. Choose to accept the past with an open heart by listening to God.
FEAR NOT. You cannot eliminate the cause of fear, but you don’t have to let it control
you.
FORGIVE. You can choose to relent to a teachable spirit and forgiving heart.
TELL. You can tell your story, bringing hope and healing to others as well as yourself.

What are you holding on to? What keeps you from living your life in a way that glorifies God? Is it a past hurt? An addiction? An unhealthy relationship? Anger over health issues? Recovery, or growth in any area of life is incredibly difficult. It takes time and a lot of intense work. At times, it's understandable that one just wants to quit and walk away. It's too hard; it's not possible; I'm not doing the right thing. However, as is often said "Recovery is a process". As much as I hate hearing that, it's true. Everything in life truly is a process. A process of giving ourselves fully to our Father- Handing Him past hurts, fears, decisions over work, school, and relationships. It's a process that involves listening and obeying by faith. A process that ultimately allows us to let go of a strong need to control our lives, and in turn allows us to live true life, one that is greater than anything we may have ever planned for ourselves anyway!

No comments: