Thursday, October 2, 2008

Here ya go!



Ok everyone, it’s time to stop harassing me. . . I am updating my blog!!! I remember sitting at Dordt the night before graduation promising several of you that I wouldn’t just travel off to some foreign country and lose contact with you all. Well, I am still in the country, but I do apologize for my lack of updates :) So, here’s to you that keep attacking me (and you know who you are J).

So, I have been living in Berrien Springs, Michigan for nearly two months now. It’s similar to Sioux Center in that it’s a rural area with cities in close proximity. Berrien Springs is beautiful!! It’s right on the Lake and there are several rivers running around the town as well - - Although, this caused trouble several weeks back as we flooded! Our basement had a foot of water in it! And we weren’t even one of the worst places in town to be! Two of my room mates had to move out of my house for 3 weeks so they could pump the water out and rip out our carpet! And we couldn’t do wash b/c if you’d open the dryer, water would go In it! Thankfully my room is on the third floor of our house!

Living at the house that I am in has been such a blessing, despite the flooding. . . I live about a block from school, in a really beautiful quiet neighborhood with tons of trees. I have 5 house mates, and we all get along really well. It’s really nice, because each of us has our own room – So, if we want, we can have our privacy. But then we also hang out a lot in the kitchen or living room or in our hallways. One of the girls is in a couple of my classes, so that’s also really convenient.

As for school, I am really enjoying it, although it is extremely difficult. There are 12 of us in my cohort (That means we are in all the same classes and will graduate with the same degree - - If we make it to the end that is J lol). Anyways, we all get along real well and actually hang out quite a bit outside of class. Our profs are really excited, because we all talk a lot, so it makes for good discussions. In our psychological development class, our prof usually has a power point with 55-60 slides, and we might get through 15 a night because we move into discussions :) So, that’s nice to be able to have interactions like that. The material is very interesting, but like I said the courses are really hard. Our profs are definitely extremely intelligent, and thus the program is quite rigorous. And, you need to get all A-‘s or better in order to continue in the program, so it is quite daunting. We have mid-terms next week already, which I’m super nervous about! But, it’s also crazy to think how fast the first half of the semester has gone!

I’ve also found a church that I absolutely love, so that’s been awesome! The music is AMAZING, and the pastor gives really good sermons, so I love going there each week. . . I was going to join a small group, but I’ve been so busy with school, so I wanted to wait until I have a better grasp on all the work of grad school.

I also went home for the first time last weekend, and it was really nice. . . I bought tickets to the Carrie Underwood concert in Sioux City for me and Niki and Kaida, so I made the long trek home for a few days. The concert was soooooo good, and we all just had a great time. It was also nice to catch up with other friends over the weekend. And it was really good because at the end I felt ready to get back to Michigan, so I definitely feel the Lord has called me here right now.

Well, that is a brief update on life out here in Michigan :) Again, sorry to all you blog-stalkers who keep attacking my updating abilities :) I’ll try to update more often in the future!
Here is a picture of 3 of my house mates, SookHee, Melissa, and Andrea. . . Andrew's had a fireworks show for Labor Day and we all went together. It was really good!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Thank you, Jay. Wish we were with you!

Theresa said...

Continuing to cheer you on! :)